Wednesday, January 9, 2013

50 Book Challenge


Four years ago I was struck by the famous Charlie ‘Tremendous’ Jones quote, “You are the same today you’ll be in five years except for two things: the people you meet and the books you read.”
That sobering thought coupled with my daughter’s voracious reading, inspired me to begin tracking how many books I read over the course of a year. Fifty seemed like a good number. I’ve since learned it’s a number some scoff at as too low and others bemoan as too hard. I don’t really care, adjust it to how you see fit.

I’ve adapted to reading on my iPad and now find myself reading several books, usually non-fiction, concurrently. I also read the books my daughter deems worthy.

It’s a good habit to log what you’ve read. Use a journal, Amazon, Goodreads, or download the log I’ve created. It’s fun to see what you’ve accomplished and what you’ve learned along the way.

Even though reading is an investment in your mind, many people still find excuses not to pick up a book. Lack of time is the most common. Knock it off and make a commitment. Shave an hour off your TV time, or curb some mindless web surfing. You don’t have to be a stickler, to me, audio books count. And don’t be a snob; all books are valid, thick or thin, fiction or non-fiction alike. Maybe you’ll choose to keep track of how many books you read aloud to a child or a grandparent.

Start with fifty books. Want a few suggestions? Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment