Thursday, October 31, 2013

NaNoWriMo Eve

After the goblins, witches and ghouls turn in for the night, NaNoWriMo (NaNo) will begin for me. Fortunately, there will be candy.

Here's what I know; the working title, the narrative point of view and a couple of themes to explore. That's about it. Normally I like to work off at least a rough outline and typically I have a few characters and situations sketched out in my mind. Not this time.

I'll use some milestones from The Hero's Journey. They'll act as guideposts to ensure I keep moving, but beyond that it looks like I'll be a pantser this year. A pantser is one who writes by the seat of their pants. I'm not going to be sitting there waiting for inspiration. I'm going to have to wrestle that out every day. That means I'll be using production goals. A certain word count (preferably over 1,700 a day) or a time commitment. Since my goals rest in reestablising a daily writing habit and uncovering a new piece of fiction buried within, production goals work just fine.

Writing without an outline is often exhilarating when creating new fiction, it gives you the freedom to capture a stream of thoughts previously unexplored. Of course, that can be frightening and a royal pain to edit. Nonetheless that's where this year is headed.

Stay tuned for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment