We’re entering the Dog Days of summer, but with two political conventions on the horizon and the start of the Olympic Games, it’s hardly languid. There’s a lot of ambition in the air.
Leaders, artists and entrepreneurs don’t typically take the summer off. They use the time to prepare for the autumn months. They know the things they do today will help them to finish the year strong.
Relaxation is a crucial component to success. It’s tempting to move slower during the hotter months, sip on iced tea and relax by the pool. This is an excellent time to self assess.
Ask yourself, “How am I doing?” Take account of several areas of your life.
- Are you where you want to be financially?
- Is your career going as you had planned?
- Are you happy with the current state of your health?
- Are you pleased with and fulfilled by the relationships in your life?
- Have you created enough time in your schedule to pursue your hobbies?
- Are you regularly increasing your education, either formally or informally?
- Are you satisfied with the contributions of time, treasure or talent you’re making to the community of your choice?
- Are you continually improving?
If you’re less than satisfied with your answers, don’t just shrug it off. Make a plan that will start moving you to where you want to be. Do something, right away, even if it’s just writing down your goal or a next action.
It’s hot and many people are on vacation, so you may not feel as motivated to do something as you would a couple months from now. It helps to remember, that if you start today, a couple months from now you could be finishing, instead of starting.