Twenty-five days into the New Year and some people are already whining. There are whines about the economy, the government, the NFL, their own ill-conceived resolutions, their faltering relationships, their job. Whine, whine, whine.
I’m taking the next 21 days to help you move from whiner to winner. Adapted from my book, “How to Stay When you Want to Quit; re-scripting your life from whiner to winner”, this series will take key pieces from that program. For 21 days I will pose questions, exercises and thought starters aimed at helping you get over yourself and get working on something productive?
Too harsh? Not for you? Tell a friend or someone you love who’s been going through a tough time to check in, because I’m confident they’ll get something out of this series. Truly, so will you, even if you don’t want to admit it right now. I guarantee there’s something going on in your life that you’ve been whining about. Cut it out. It’s time to make things better.
As you work your way through the next 21 days you’ll find concepts that can apply to virtually any job and any position in any organization. Good luck and have fun on this journey as you take control of your approach and attitude toward life.
So let’s get right to it. Make note of your answers to the questions posed in this series, they will help you collect your thoughts.
Imagine you’ve just finished a day of work…
- How are you feeling right now?
- When you look in the mirror, describe whom you see.
- What do you think you sounded like to people who may have overheard your conversations today?
- Is your job fun? Why or Why not?
- What’s changed from the first day you started this job? (Reflect, and determine if it was your job that changed or you.)
- What if neither you nor your job changed? Would you be happy to keep doing what you’re doing now for the next five years? (If you answered no, then you must learn to recognize, respond and thrive with change.)
- Do you have a sense of purpose in what you do? Why or Why not? (If you do have a sense of purpose, what is it? Are you living on purpose?)
Next up: "Come on, Get Happy"
Share your comments, progress or tips on the blog, on the Karl Bimshas Consulting page on Facebook or on Twitter using the #whiner21 tag.